Haven Books Fiction
Mara Purl's Novels & Stories
What the Heart Knows - Topics for Discussion
Book Club and Reading Group Guide
Topics for Discussion "What the Heart Knows"
- What are the dynamics of a small town? What is nurturing and supportive
about a small town? What is intrusive and destructive?
- Why do people keep journals? Why does Samantha keep a journal? What
function does journal writing perform in her life? Is Samantha in
crisis? At what point have we encountered her in her life?
- Is Chris careful or foolhardy? Does she place her job or her personal
life first? Was her trip to the Clarke house impetuous or well calculated?
- Why is Jack so angry? What in his background might have happened
to Jack to cause his emotionally abusive behavior toward the people
in his life?
- What makes an artist essentially different from other people? As
an artist, what are Miranda's priorities?
- Why do some women manipulate every personal and business relationship?
What are Zelda's motives? What's her history? Why is Cynthia so calculating
at such a young age?
- What is Zack's attraction to Cynthia? What is his ambivalence toward
her? What attracts him about Miranda?
- How does a person tell whether or not they've met the "right" person?
Is Miranda responding to a deep and soulful recognition when she meets
Zack? Is she wise in pursuing a relationship with him, or is she treading
on dangerous ground?
- As a former journalist who wrote for the Associated Press, The Financial
Times of London, Rolling Stone, the Christian Science Monitor, and
the Mainichi Daily News, Mara Purl was trained to do extensive research
and to report accurately. How might her journalistic background have
influenced her as a novelist?
- What does YOUR heart know? Does important information come to you
through both head and heart? What do you do with "heart"
information–ignore it, or pay attention to it? As the title
for the first of a series of twelve books, is it possible this is
a theme for Milford-Haven itself, and everyone who's drawn to the
Fiction: Milford-Haven: Test Editions: What the Heart Knows: Topics for Discussion